ESCAMBIA COUNTY, FLORIDA
MINUTES, MAY 14, 2001
The School Board of Escambia County, Florida, convened as a legislative body for the Resolution of Impasse pursuant to section 447.403(4)9(d), Florida Statutes (2000) at 6:00 p.m., in Room 160, J.E. Hall Educational Services Center, 30 East Texar Drive, Pensacola, Florida, with the following present:
Chairman: Dr. John DeWitt Vice Chairman: Mrs. Cary Stidham
Members: Mr. Gary L. Bergosh
Ms. Linda Finkelstein
Dr. Elmer Jenkins
School Board Attorney: Mr. Francisco Negron, Jr.
Superintendent of Schools: Mr. Jim Paul
Dr. DeWitt called the meeting to order at 6:00 p.m. Father Jack Murray gave the Invocation, and Mr. Mike Burns, Coordinator of Community and Legislative Affairs, led the Pledge of Allegiance.
I.. ADOPTION OF AGENDA
There being no objection, adoption of the agenda, with the deletion of II.A.1, was unanimously approved. Dr. DeWitt outlined the procedures to be used during the meeting.
II.PRESENTATIONS & DISCUSSION
A. PRESENTATION OF PROPOSALS
DELETE: 1. Kathy Terrell, EEA Bargaining Committee Chair (Taken out of order at EEAs request due to a prior conflict; minutes used deducted from total EEA time).
2. Superintendent The Districts proposal for resolution of impasse for the instructional personnel collective bargaining agreement was presented by Mr. Wallace Odom, Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Business Affairs, Mr. Gene Pettis, Director of Employee Services, and Ms. Barbara Linker, Director of Budgeting. (Supplementary Minute Book, Exhibit A)
3. EEA The Escambia Education Associations proposal for resolution of impasse for the instructional personnel collective bargaining agreement was presented by EEA representatives, Ms. Arlene Costello and Mr. Bob Husbands. (Supplementary Minute Book, Exhibit B)
1. Superintendent Mr. Gene Pettis reiterated the Districts proposal.
2. EEA Ms. Arlene Costello reiterated the Associations proposal.
C. BOARD QUESTIONS & COMMENTS
The Board addressed the following issues:
1) pending health insurance claims and their input on the budget
2) whether or not the Districts proposal was more than the Associations over a two-year period
3)the Districts benefit package compared to other school districts
4) the need to change the tax structure
5) completion of the bargaining process with three other employee units
6) the possibility of an inadequate reserve fund balance
D. PUBLIC FORUM
The Board recognized the following speakers:
Jeannie Medlin Pam Schwartz
Bonnie Exner Lori Huggins
Suzanne Bosso Glen Thompson
Ron Knowlton Mary Durant
Kent Rettig Ellen Lawrence
Bill Vincent Gail Husbands
Lynda LaCoste Louis ORear
Cathy Roche Linda Harris
Kathy Breakall Madonna Jackson-Williams
Cecilia Gentry Michelle Rea
Maureen Dinnen Kathy Terrell
Harry Tripp Joyce Watts
III. BOARD ACTION MOTION TO ADOPT RESOLUTION REGARDING IMPASSE
Mr. Bergosh moved to accept the Districts proposal for a step roll retroactive for one-half year for the 2000-2001 fiscal year; continuation of the step roll from the prior year and an additional full step for the 2001-2002 fiscal year based on the appropriate schedule and index at that time; and increase instructional supplements for one-half year for 2000-2001 and for a full year for 2001-2002 with the change in base pay. Mrs. Stidham seconded the motion, which was unanimously approved.
The meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m. (Official recordings of this meeting are filed in the Information Services Department.)